Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Would You Do This For YOUR Family Member?

I think it's incredible when someone does a selfless act for someone they love. I'm really impressed by my friend, Cari Bacon, from Oceanside, CA. She takes care of her grandfather, who is fighting lung cancer. 

As you can imagine, it's not cheap to pay for all the necessary treatments, so she's having a fundraiser. It's called Rock Out Beat Cancer! Just click here for all the details and to buy tickets.

Cari has been taking care of Grandpa Mel for about a year and has spent $10,000 out of pocket so far for his treatments. Mel is 80 years old and has Medicare, so 80% is paid for. But the remaining 20% can be enough to bankrupt some folks. You can read about her Grandpa and what he's been going through here.

I became pals with Cari from chatting with her on Twitter. She runs a fun, entertainment website called, the Busy Bee Blogger. Turns out, she was a big fan of The DSC radio show and now I'm a fan of hers! I really admire and respect what she's doing. Cari told me she helps her Grandpa, because he's given her so much over his lifetime, that she feels compelled to give back.

The benefit is being held at The Belly Up Tavern in Solana Beach, CA on Saturday night, June19th, from 4:00 to 7:00 p.m. If you purchase your tickets at the door, it will cost $17.00, but only $15.00 if you buy them online ahead of time. If you are unable to attend, I would encourage you to please donate the $15 anyway. Just today, she got a bill for $4,500 and that doesn't include his meds. Many people have declared bankruptcy due to the high cost of medical care and we want to prevent that.

The Rock Out Beat Cancer benefit will include entertainment from the classic rock band, Redhanded, fronted by James Johnson. He's better known to fans of The DSC as, Quiet Talking James. Everyone will get a goody bag to take home and be eligible to win lots of cool prizes including; one month of yummy food delivered by Fresh Diet, sunglasses from Spy Optics, products and treatments from Ocean Day Spa and more. There will also be a silent auction with neat stuff to bid on, including an original, mixed media painting by me, seen below.
Dragonfly Dreams: 9x12" on wooden panel, mixed media painting.

Beside me, Ruth 66, KOGO Radio personality LaDonna Harvey will be attending the event; along with other special guests. I  would love to meet you, so please introduce yourself so I can say hello and thank you for your support.

No comments:

Post a Comment